Thru the eyes of Road Warrior Stefany
It was another early morning for Room 76. Today’s adventure out to the Great Barrier Reef took 5 minutes by bus and then 1½ hours by boat. Once on the boat, we were treated to some wonderful views of the mountains on our way to the reef. Cairns is beautiful with the rainforests that touch the ocean.
Marine World was the name of our dive spot located just behind the Outer Reef wall. It was a stationary, covered platform in the middle of the sanctuary where only the company we were with can access. There were under-water glass observatories, diving platforms and a marked-off snorkel area. But to start our day, Edna, Adri and I went on a helicopter tour of the reef. The platform was a safe distance away from the station, so we were taken by boat to the helipad to board our chopper.
I have never been in a helicopter before, so that was exciting. But it was the views from the air that took my breath away. We flew about 500 meters above the reef, so we could see the changing of the colors from the drop-off to the coral and how each piece of coral wasn’t connected but still created this amazing collage known as the Great Barrier Reef. It helped make me even more excited to get in the water and explore.
Once back on the station, we suited up and hopped in the water. It was incredibly warm and filled with hundreds of fish. Everywhere you looked, you could see different types of corals and fish. The biggest of them all was a distant cousin of the parrotfish called the Maori Wrasse. The resident Maori Wrasse of this reef was Wally, who was extremely friendly. For divers, he would go up to them and allow them to pet him. For snorkelers (like myself), he came to the surface during the mid-day feeding. Like I learned in Brazil, you always follow the person with the fish. So when the fish-feeder entered the water, I made my way to her. As I did so, Wally came from the depths and actually crossed my path and swam next to me for a moment as we both headed to the food. He was absolutely massive and gorgeous. In this sanctuary, without the threat of fishermen, he had been able to grow to about 5 feet. It was incredible to be next to him and see how small I was in comparison.
After swimming with Wally, we then hopped a boat to head to the drop-off. Of course, Adri and I couldn’t stop quoting “Finding Nemo.”
“The drop-off! They’re going to the drop-off!”
“Look at me! I’m going to touch the butt”
“We swim in, then out. Then in, then out.”
“Boat? I’ve seen a boat! Follow me!”
Being at the drop-off was even more incredible then reef at the station. Here we saw the colorful coral adjacent to the massive blue nothingness. We saw various types and colors of coral, parrotfish in mid sex change and sleeping sharks. Then we topped it off with a Gil and Nemo sighting. The clown fish were swimming in and out of anemone with such ease and grace. I floated there, watching them for so long, that I even got away from the group a little bit. They were just so cute.
Getting out of the water, we were exhausted but exhilarated from the day’s activities. It was a once-in-a-lifetime type of day and we didn’t waste a minute of it.
Back at the hotel, we packed and grabbed some dinner before calling it an early night. Tomorrow is another early day, as we have to drive 8 hours to our next destination.
Tomorrow: Driving to Aerlie Beach.