Friday, September 11, 2009

Flying to Maui

Thru the eyes of Road Warrior Stefany

In my freshman year of college, I was like any other 18 year old. – eager, enthusiastic and driven. It wasn’t out of character for me to show up 10 min early for class so that I could get my favorite seat and review the previous class notes. But showing up 10 min early on this day kept me blissfully unaware of horrific events going on in New York.

When I left class my cell phone had been inundated with missed calls and as I checked each voicemail the pieces of the morning slowly fell into place. Questions swirled in my head as I tried to understand why.

Fast-forward 8 years; things seem to be back to normal. I’m still the same eager, enthusiastic, driven woman. I have spent significant time in the Big Apple and even lived there for a summer. People have bounced back.

Sitting on the plane, flying on this particular day, I was filled with a nervous energy. Intellectually I understood that the probability that something would happen was slim to none, but my emotions didn’t register the message. It was my first time flying on this day since that fateful day.

As probability predicted, everything was fine and we landed in Maui without incidence. Then headed to our hotel in time to watch the sunset into the Pacific Ocean. I can’t help but be immensely grateful to be here and to be sharing it with my family.

God bless those who were lost in that tragedy and their families. I know I shall never forget.