During one amazing summer I was lucky enough to work for The Broadway League and to explore the city with its infectious energy. Unfortunately, Chris has never had the opportunity to experience the city, so I took it upon myself to introduce him properly to NYC. From the top sites to favorite restaurants to all the neighborhoods, we would try to cover as much ground as possible in our day here.
It is a well-known fact that parking in NYC is nightmare, but we were fortunate to find overnight, street parking that 1st night. However, we couldn’t stay there during the day, so Amy and I moved Billie to a garage a block away from the apartment, as Chris got ready for the day. When pulling into the garage, Billie caught a nail in her tire and went flat. For the craziness that ensued due to the flat, please see the post “Road Warriors vs. NYC Parking Attendants.” I want to keep this post a little more positive. ☺
Our site seeing commenced after the garage debacle. Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street Bull, Trinity Church and the 9-11 site. There is a beautiful church right next to the site that was the only building in the area to have no damage after the attacks and also served as a resting place for volunteers searching in the ruble. It’s a powerful and serine place that humbly accepts your respect.
After lunch at Odeon with Amy, we started our trek to the West Village to meet my friend Sarah Elizabeth Foster. Interestingly enough, during our walk I was propositioned by one of the Nick Arrojo (of “What Not To Wear”) hair stylists to be a hair model the next day. Unfortunately, I knew we had to leave and buy a new tire for Billie, so I politely declined as I kicked myself in the butt for not agreeing to a free hair cut from Nick Arrojo!
Arriving at Sarah’s place, I was quickly reminded why we are friends. She is such a wonderful and talented person. Going to Miami together, I have heard her sing various genres of music but as a singer/songwriter she has the ability to cater songs to her voice. This showcases her voice and highlights the immense talent she possesses. You would say that she has an Ingrid Michelson/Sarah McLaughlin type-feel. Her music is available on iTunes (my fav is “Gardening from the Ground Up”) and she has 2 wonderful blogs that are always great reads. Make sure to check her out! www.sarahelizabethfoster.com
The day concluded with dinner at another favorite, Blockheads; a meeting with my partner in musical theatre crime, Michael Dexter; and Monday Night Football. The next morning, after a quick breakfast with Simone Segall (daughter of fellow Brazil Expedition-ist Michele French) and a morning coffee with my dear friend Maria Fiorini Ramirez, we left New York to begin the jaunt to Jersey and its less-expensive tires.