Monday, October 12, 2009

MonaVie Road Warriors: Taste AND Party in the Triangle, NC

Through the eyes of Road Warrior Chris

I always find it refreshing when different parts of my world collide. Stefany and I have spent the last couple of days in the Triangle of North Carolina (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill), where I spent three awesome years after graduating from the University of Arkansas. Quite the transient area, the Triangle is chalk full of young people from all over the world, most either starting their professional careers or continuing their education in some masters or PhD program at Duke University, University of North Carolina, or NC State University. Over my three years in North Carolina, I met some very interesting characters, some with whom I became very close friends. Two of those friends are Monique Chatrisa (Moe) and Eddie Brown.

I moved to Durham, NC, during the summer of 2003 for an internship in the athletic fundraising office of Duke University. My fellow intern and roommate Brent Holck and I, through a very random set of circumstances involving both an Irish Pub and a sketchy roommate matching website, quickly found ourselves hanging out with a group of interesting people, all of whom coincidentally moved to NC within the same month as us. Dinner parties, nights on the town, and college football tailgates rapidly became the norm, and all of us became good friends. Moe, who is now more like my sister, is one of these friends. This past Saturday happened to be her birthday, so I am delighted that we could celebrate with her. Happy Birthday Moe!

About a year after we had moved to NC, Brent had started attending a local non-denominational church in Chapel Hill called Chapel Hill Bible Church. Jacey (another original group member whom we will see this week in DC!) and I decided to start attending CHBC with Brent, which turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made in my 28 years of life (thanks Brent!). It was there that I dedicated my life to Christ and where I formed many beautiful friendships. One of those friendships was with Eddie Brown, an engineer from Clemson University with a South Carolina drawl and a heart made of gold. Eddie, who was also my roommate my third and last year in NC, and his bride Rebekkah Dann were married this past Saturday in Chapel Hill. I am so thankful to have them in my life, and that we could celebrate their special day with them. Congratulations Eddie and Rebekkah!

Despite the celebratory tenor, NC was not all “play” and no “work”. We definitely shared the MonaVie story with all of our friends and met with Izcander Flores, another friend of mine and a new MonaVie distributor on our team. Welcome Iz!

Next stop…taking a bite of the Big Apple!