Sunday, November 1, 2009

MonaVie Road Warriors: Denver

Through the eyes of Road Warrior Stefany

As a South Florida girl, I can count on my fingers the number of times I’ve seen snow - most of that being between 1 to 3 inches. So as we crossed the plains of Kansas and Colorado, I was overwhelmed with excitement as the landscape transformed from brown to white. Upon arriving in Denver, Emily Crowley (our wonderful host and friend from Clemson) was pleased to announce that there was 2 feet of snow in the back yard. My mission was clear, with that much snow I HAD to build my first snowman. Again, I’m from South Florida!

After a great dinner, we returned to the house for the main event: Snowman Building! As I stepped into the backyard, I quickly surveyed my blank, snowy canvas and selected a spot near the house where I could utilize the porch light. Remembering the tutorial I received during dinner, I began by creating a snowball and then trying to roll it across the yard. Problem…the snow wouldn’t pack to create a ball and the top layer of snow in the yard had hardened to ice. I tried to ignore the issue and continued with the suggestions I received at dinner. 20 frustrating minutes later the plan was altered. Since I couldn’t create a snowman, I decided to create a snow creature. He began as a snow mound then grew legs and arms then was topped with eyes, ears and a nose. He was very cute if I do say so myself. ☺

The next day we explored Denver. We began with the 16th Street Mall, an outdoor, pedestrian-friendly area of downtown. After a great lunch and some college football, we continued our exploration. Of course, we stumbled upon another cheesy awesome site. Peeking into the Denver Performing Arts Complex is a 2 story, blue bear. Even bears like the arts!

Following our bear sighting, we made our way to Golden, CO. This small town just outside of Denver, in the foothills of the Rockies is home to Coors. Unlike Anheuser-Busch, Coors offers self-guided tours with the assistance of a phone that contains digital recordings. When you reach a certain number, you punch that into the phone and the appropriate recording plays. This allowed you to go at your own pace. Of course, at the end, we were treated to free samples. I enjoyed the seasonal Pumpkin Ale.

After our tour, we headed back to Emily’s house to get ready for Halloween and that evening’s party. Our costumes were a hit with Chris dressed as Where’s Waldo and me as Betty Boop. During the party, we shared the MonaVie opportunity and introduced all in attendance to Emv.

Having a long day of driving ahead of us, we called it a night early. In the morning we started on the next leg of our journey: Salt Lake City.